The Racial Equity Institute Presents “A Groundwater Approach to Racial Equity”
Sponsored by Durham Chamber of Commerce and Durham County Department of Public Health
Register here. This is a free event but registration is required and will close when it’s full. Please share this email with your networks.
When: Monday September 24, 2018, 9:00am - 12:00 pm. Doors open at 8:15. Please arrive early to ensure parking and sign in.
Where: Carolina Theatre, 309 West Morgan Street Durham, NC 27701. There is metered street parking and a parking deck available for a fee. Please carpool if you are able.
What: In the half-day Groundwater Approach workshop, trainers use data and stories from a variety of sources to demonstrate the ongoing and pervasive impact of race. This research-based presentation focuses on the following six points that are essential to understanding the realities of systemic racism as a predictor of outcomes in all institutions.
- Racial inequity looks the same across systems.
- Socio-economic difference does not explain the racial inequity.
- Systems contribute significantly to disparities.
- The systems-level disparities cannot be explained by a few ‘bad apples’ or ill-intentioned gatekeepers.
- Poor outcomes are concentrated in certain geographic communities; usually poor communities and communities of color.
- An analysis that includes race often draws starkly different conclusions than one that does not.
Please register here.
Registration will close when seats are full.