The Duke Physician Assistant Program is committed to establishing a safe, welcoming, and inclusive learning environment, where we celebrate the diverse and talented pool from which students are selected.
With the help of the student-run Diversity Committee, the PA program hosts events, discussions, workshops and more on discrimination, (dis)ability, transgender health, ethnicity, nationality, race, gender, and sexuality.
In the past, the student-led Stead Society has facilitated multicultural potlucks, Hispanic Heritage Month celebrations, Transgender Remembrance documentary screenings, privilege walks, discussions with U.S. Military members, Easter celebrations, Martin Luther King Jr. workshops, LGBTQ+ Pride activities, Chinese Lunar New Year festivities and Special Olympics volunteering opportunities.
Duke's Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values. Read more from the Office of the Provost.
Duke University Policy on Discrimination
In accordance with federal laws, Duke University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender or sex, age, disability, genetic information, national origin, or veteran status. We expand these protections further by also prohibiting discrimination based on gender identity, sexual orientation, and gender expression. Read more from the Office for Institutional Equity.
Diversity and Institutional Equity Policies
- Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action
- Americans with Disabilities Act & Rehabilitation Act
- Consensual Relationships
- Harassment & Discrimination
Committees and Councils
- Leadership Advisory Council on URM (Under Represented Minority) Faculty
- BOND (Bridging Opportunities & Networking in Diversity) Council
- Hispanic & Latino Faculty Council
- School of Medicine Inclusion Council
- Sexual and Gender Diversity Advisory Council
- Duke Health Disparities Consortium (DHDC)
- Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity
- Duke Health Disparities Consortium
- Duke Health Sciences Gay-Straight Alliance
- 50 Years of Black Students at Duke
- Office for Health Equity & Disparities (OHED)
- Office for Institutional Equity
- Samuel DuBois Cook Center on Social Equity
- Student Disability Access Office
- Jewish Life at Duke
- Muslim Life at Duke
- Center for Multicultural Affairs
- Women's Center
- Mary Lou Williams Center for Black Culture