Ergonomics improves well-being of employees by reducing workplace discomfort or pain through identification and control of ergonomic "hazards." Ergonomists, physicians, and physical therapists work together to provide expertise in adapting jobs and work environments to match the worker.
- Performing work site evaluations to identify workplace risk factors that may cause or aggravate musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs)
- Providing written recommendations for controlling or abating observed ergonomic risk factors
- Exam, treatment, and detailed work recommendations at any stage of pain disorders which are work related or which limit work capacity
- Assisting with structuring and implementing an ergonomics program.
- Conducting ergonomics training classes for managers, supervisors, and employees
- Assisting with challenging job designs, facility layouts, and work areas
- Recommending appropriate cost-effective changes to jobs and workstations to reduce the risk of injury.
Occupational Ergonomics Training
A course designed for employees who primarily use computers at work. This course provides information about ergonomics, body postures, and adjustment of the work environment to reduce the risk of developing musculoskeletal disorders due to work. Home work stations are also addressed.
Ergonomics for Supervisors and Managers
A course that provides supervisors with education, consultation, and direction regarding the ergonomics of work processes. By identifying and recognizing risks, methods of reducing workplace injuries due to ergonomics can be implemented to address potential problems. Other topics of this course include ergonomics related to health, productivity and employee relations.
Manual Materials Handling
A course designed for all employees who lift or handle materials on a regular basis. This course provides information about proper lifting techniques, ergonomic interventions for safely handling materials, and how to avoid injuries associated with material handling.
Reducing Injuries in the Healthcare Environment
A course that provides healthcare workers with an overview of ergonomics. The information gained will assist them in the development, improvement, and implementation of ergonomic programs at their facility. This includes information on implementing Safe Patient Handling and Mobility (SPHM) programs.